Parkinson's: Low Blood Pressure - High Blood Pressure

 Snarky Parky & me
A  Step Into a snark pile with Nancy Mellon
Blog Coordinated by that Great Brit Corrine Bayraktaroglu

Ha! Got One!

Detecting answers to:

Low Blood Pressure - High Blood Pressure

Here I sit in my Binder. It is easy to wear and to put on. Whew! The binder option without the compression stockings, came as a blessing.

  • When I used MyChart, to ask my Doctor for help, he sent me back a basic list of things I could do, it included “wear compression stockings.”

  • The book I like best for Parkinson's advice, by Dr. J. Eric Ahlskog said that the compression stockings needed to be measured to your exact size.

  • He also said that they must be to the thigh or the the waist with a binder....hmmm (We had already bought 2 different kinds of sets that go as far as your calf. )He wrote that, the thigh high stockings combined with a binder would take care of the problem for most people, but that not many of his patients (from 30 years of working with PwP) were willing to try them, and of the ones who were, none were willing to wear them for more than a few weeks.

  • ????? What to do?

  • I decided to call my go-to expert on compression stockings. I called my friend, Lara, who has had to wear compression stockings, for many years. She gave me some good advice on:

  • where to get compression stockings: an Occupational Therapist or a Physical Therapist are often trained in how to wear them and can measure you for them

  • or a medical equipment store will sell them and have someone who can do the measurements for them.

  • Lara also gave me her personal opinion about them: they are uncomfortable to wear, hot and a bear to put on-

A definite 10 on the Ick Scale.

The Binder blessing came through a research article that Steven found on line. “Preventing and Treating Orthostatic Hypotension: As easy as A, B, C”

It was cool to see that it was written by 3 Doctors from the Cleveland Clinic.

The Author Manuscript for this document is in the library of NLM - the National Institutes of Health.

How about them apples for bonafides?

(Now, envision me smiling, but with a bit of finger wagging going on- “Doctors, do not sneer at patients when they tell you about their

'Hey, Google' success.” )

In my opinion, this is the Best research paper on this topic. They “emphasize a simple but effective patient – orientated approach to management” After all, this is the research paper that said I could try a binder first, before compression stockings. It said:

"Compression of the legs alone is not as beneficial as compression of the abdomen, because the venous capacity of the calves and thighs is relatively small compared to that of the abdomen. which accounts for 20%- 30%  of total blood flow. Because some patients gain significant benefit from abdominal compression alone, this should be the first step in reducing venous capacitance.. "

(There are some paragraphs that are written in much more highfalutin words, which is strange because it says: The recommendations and their rationale are organized in a practical and easy-to-remember format for both physicians and patients. Steven says that is not strange, the highfalutin parts are for the Doctors to read.)

But then the writers also say in their title “Preventing and Treating Orthostatic Hypotension: As easy as A, B, C” And then go on to say in the very first line “Orthostatic hypotension is a chronic, debilitating illness that is difficult to treat.

Huh?

All kidding aside, this is the Best research paper for a patient to read,

on Orthostatic Hypotension, (standing low blood pressure) and the Hypertension (high blood pressure) that often comes about from it. It gave me an easy to understand education about the problem. (It is often caused by Parkinson's and also by the medications taken for Parkinson's. Many PwP get it.) It had better and more suggestions, in a clear and easy form, than all the other avenues we have tried, including asking my Doctors for help.)


    Steven and i have a controversy over wearing my binder over clothes. (Not for modesty's sake- he thinks it wont work as well to keep my BP from tanking, as against my skin would.)

  • I think-we shall see. As we take more blood pressure readings, (7 so far from 9 am to 1 pm.) we will find out if it is going to help keep my blood pressure in check. It is easier to take it off and put it back on if it is on the outside. Besides consider it a white bustier. Maybe Zyn could sew some lace at the top? It reminds me of costumes I wore from my Goodman, School of Drama days. (Who's bragging now?) I distinctly remember floating about in semi circles, in a tight corset, as the lead character (I don't remember her name. Oh well. There goes the bragging rights) in She Stoops To Conquer.

My binder is growing tighter. My chest hurts. It is 4 hours since I put it on. I have been stuck to the computer, like a moth in the light, writing this post. Steven has been working upstairs in the bathroom. He is installing more handrails for me. He comes downstairs to check on how I am doing, I say I want to take the binder off, it is not comfortable any more. I take it off and then we check my blood pressure. It is high.


He says I probably should have taken it off about 3 hours ago. We take it off.

Tomorrow we will try it again.


Cheers,

Nancy and the ever present Snark


Postscript –


As I grow older, may I be kind to myself.

As I grow older may I accept joy and sorrow.

As I grow older may I be happy and at peace.

As each of us grows older, may we be kind to ourselves.

As each of us grows older may we accept joy and sorrow.

As each of us grows older may we be happy and at peace.

As all beings grow older, may they be kind to themselves.

As all beings grow older may they accept joy and sorrow.

As all beings grow older may they be happy and at peace.”

 From AGING AS A SPIRITUAL PRACTICE: A CONTEMPLATIVE GUIDE TO GROWING OLDER AND WISER by Lewis Richmond


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts